Beta 2 version

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM

When can we expect a version that includes updates to better support Beta 2?

-Shaun

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

We are currently working on an update to MPF for Projects. This update is includes fixes that we know, including support for Visual Studio 2010 Beta2. As the updates become available, we plan to post them here.

Chuck England
Visual Studio Platform
Program Manager - MSBuild

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Chuck,

it is now a month later. Is there any news on an updated version for Beta 2 ?

Robert van der Hulst
GrafXSoft

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Robert,

I have heard that there is someone currently working on this. I believe that in the next couple of weeks or so, they should compelte the work. Having done it in the past, it will take some additional time after that for them to prepare and post the new build to the site.

Chuck England
Visual Studio Platform

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Any update on this please?

Thanks

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Any update on this would be nice.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Based on an email from the PM that is heading this up, it looks like a developer has been working on this.

It looks like that work would be completed in time for an update around the first of February.

Chuck England
Visual Studio Platform

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Around the first of February ?
You must be kidding:

- Ms expects us to use MPF for our VS enhancements (in our case a complete 3rd party language integration)
- Ms expects us to sim ship our product with VS2010
- MPF for Beta 2 is ready after the date on which we are supposed to send in our videos showing our product inside VS2010.

So we will have to fix the issues in MPF ourselves (again).

At this moment I am seeing the following issues with MPF on Beta 2:

• When compiling a project MsBuild never returns to MPF. We have fixed this by calling the asynchronous version and polling for IsComplete. I am not sure if this is a bug in Msbuild or MPF but it has cost me 4-5 days to locate the problem (I have even ported the Ironpython sample to VS2010 to see that it has the same problems)
  • When you add a reference to a project, then the assemblypath is filled correctly. After closing the project and reopening it again the assemplypath is missing and the reference icons in the solution explorer are marked with a yellow exclamation mark

I am very disappointed.

Some old issues with MPF (most of these we have solved ourselves in the past):

• MPF does not properly support drag and drop or cut and paste.
  • MPF does not support linked files, nor 'Show all files'

Robert van der Hulst
    GrafXSoft

• Jan 4, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I would be happy if you could just post a fix to the issue robertvdh mentioned about executing MsBuild in a background thread.  I've complained about this many times on the VSX forms and It's quite annoying to work around.  

See: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsxprerelease/thread/d6e7896a-a447-4d41-ad8c-438a6e20ca62

-Shaun

Coordinator
    Jan 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM

The Beta 2 Version is now available for download.

(Salec, the fix you are looking for has been addressed in this release.)

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:30 AM

Woot!  Thanks a bunch!!

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:02 PM

After fixing some minor bugs (I posted them in the issues list), I can verify that this did in fact fix my logging bug from the previous version :)

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    chuckeng wrote:

The Beta 2 Version is now available for download.

(Salec, the fix you are looking for has been addressed in this release.)

Chuck,

how are we supposed to use this version of MPF?
    I can see two options:

1. As 'stand alone project'.
    2. Include it in our own project system.

From looking at the code, it seems you prefer us to use it as stand alone project, because the new files (such as UIThread.cs and BuildStatus.cs) have only been included in the csproj file and not in projectbase.files or any of the other import files.
    However the 'old' samples from the VS 2008 SDK (such as the Iron Python VS Integration) are using importing MPF though ProjectBase.Files.
    We have build our own project system in the same way (using the projectbase.files).

I tried to use the 'stand alone project' approach, but that failed because of a lot of the properties and classes that we used (and that are also used in the Iron Python sample) have a visibility of 'protected internal' and cannot be used from another assembly.
    I will switch back to the 'import MPF' approach and will let you know what my experiences are.

Robert

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Robert,

Please see my posts on the issues section,  I posted a ProjectFiles.base that includes the extra files.  My guess is it's just a minor bug that slipped through the cracks :)  After applying the 2 fixes, I was able to use the beta 2 version of MPF immediately without any extra changes to code on my end.

-Shaun

Coordinator
    Jan 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I believe that this has been fixed in the internal drop. We are currently working to provide another release to support drops after Beta 2.

It should be available soon, but I can't say when at this point.

Chuck England
    Visual Studio Platform